Monday 14 September 2015

Lynne Shelby Talks About French Kissing

Welcome to my blog, Lynne, and thank you for answering a few questions for me.

Hi Georgina, Thank you for inviting me onto your blog.

1. Please can you describe French Kissing in twenty words? Childhood penfriends, Anna, who is English, and Alexandre, who is French, meet as adults. Will their friendship grow into love?

2.  What is your writing process, are you a plotter, or do you start with an idea and see where the story takes you as you write? I start with the beginning of a story, and I know the end, but as to what happens in between, I see where my characters take me. Sometimes I think they are actually in charge and telling the story themselves!

3.  French Kissing is partially based in Paris – my favourite city – what was your inspiration for setting this book there? Paris is one of my favourite places too. It’s such a beautiful and romantic city – a perfect location for a love story.

4.  Can you tell us a little about your journey to being a published author? I’ve always written for pleasure and dreamt of one day having my work published, but about five years ago I ‘discovered’ romantic fiction and realised this was the genre I really wanted to write in. I joined the wonderful Romantic Novelists Association New Writers’ Scheme, and started going to writers’ workshops, and entering writing competitions. In January 2015, I received the thrilling news that I’d won the Accent Press and Woman magazine Writing Competition, and that ‘French Kissing,’ would be published.

5.  That's fantastic, huge congratulations on your exciting win! What’s the most important advice you would give to someone who might be considering writing their own book? Write every day. Even if it’s just a few sentences, it’s amazing how your ms grows.

6.   I love the sound of Alexandre, your hero. I’m always asked if my heroes are based on real people. Is Alexandre based on anyone, or an amalgam of people and if so, can you tell us who? I was travelling back to London from Paris on the Eurostar, and there was a Frenchman sitting across the aisle who spent the journey phoning friends in England, telling them that he, François, was coming to London, and suggesting they meet up. Unfortunately, none of his English friends wanted his company. By the time the train reached St Pancras, I was feeling very sorry for François, and I’d had the idea for a story about a Frenchman coming to London who was very much welcomed by an English girl - these characters became Alexandre and Anna.

7.  I love the sound of French Kissing, have pre-ordered my copy and can’t wait to be able to start reading it. Can you tell us what you’re working on at the moment? I’m working on what I think is going to be the final draft of a novel about a love-triangle set in the world of showbusiness.

Another fabulous sounding book that I'll look forward to reading - here's the link to buy it.

Thanks, Lynne. Thank you, Georgina, it’s been a pleasure.

Website http://www.lynneshelby.com/
Blog: https://lynneshelbywrites.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @LynneB1

No comments:

Post a Comment