Monday 21 April 2014

Welcoming Author Louise Wise



I'm delighted to welcome writer, Louise Wise to my blog today. Here she tells us about herself.
Married, with four children, Louise Wise lives in England. She is a pharmacist technician by day and a writer by night. She was educated in an ordinary state school and left without achieving much in the way of qualifications; you could say she was the result of a crap school. Hungry for knowledge she enrolled in an Adult Education centre and studied English, maths and creative writing. Whereas other young girls asked for makeup and clothes for their birthdays, she asked for encyclopaedias!
Louise Wise used her general love of romantic fiction and interest in astronomy to write her first book. The book received many rejections stating the novel was too original for the current market, until finally, an agent took the book on but subsequently failed to find a publisher for it. Instead of becoming despondent, it made Louise realise that becoming a published writer WAS possible. She turned her back on traditionally publishing, threw herself into the indie world and went on to publish her first chick lit book, A Proper Charlie and then Oh no, I’ve Fallen in Love!
As for the ‘too original’ Eden it has been such a hit that Louise has now followed it up with the sequel, Hunted. So far, they are both selling well.

 
Ellen Semple from 'Oh No, I've Fallen In Love' has given us a Character interview:
Oh no, I’ve Fallen in love! has been likened to a modern day Cinderella. It comes with the main characters Valerie (Cinderella) and Lex (Prince Charming), Ellen Semple (fairy godmother) and Boots the cat (glass slipper), but the ugly sisters are Valerie’s emotions (fear and loneliness). It’s 2014 after all.

Fairy godmother, AKA Ellen Semple, is here to talk about her role in the story. Ellen, hello and welcome—

ES: Good morning! What beautiful weather we’re having lately. Are you having nice weather in your corner or the world? Jersey, isn’t it? Near Guernsey. Ha! Delightful little islands. Now, dear, what questions did you want to ask me?
GT: Can you describe your relationship with—

ES: So how long have you lived in Jersey, dear?
GT: Er, most of my life—

ES: That’s nice. My relationship with Valerie? Well, she was such a prickly little thing at first, told me to ‘shut the (mouths a very rude word!) up’. Of course she was joking. Anyway we became friends in the end. I don’t see her as often as I’d like. She’s very busy, and our calls are always cut off. I’ve told her she needs a new phone, but you know what youngsters are like, they don’t listen. Well, you should know! You’re a youngster yourself! Are you married? Have children?
GT: I, er, we’re here to talk about Valerie, not myself.

ES: Yes, of course, lovey. Maybe you’re one of those, you know, (lowers voice) lesbians.
GT: Ellen! Can we stay focused on the questions in hand? You met Valerie at the cemetery while you both were visiting relatives’ graves. Whose grave was Valerie tending?

ES: Her parents and her brother. Her brother, bless his little soul, died when he was only a baby when Valerie was small, and her mother and father within a week together when she was sixteen. It made her develop a tough skin from a young age.
GT: It is true you set out to meet her and got a job at her brokerage because you felt she needed your help like the fictional fairy godmother?

ES: She was crying out for help. It was written all over her face—the way she tried to walk away from me, the way she changed the dates when she visited the graves and the way she told me I wasn’t suitable for the book-keeping role at her brokerage.
GT: That tells me she didn’t want your help!

ES: Well, maybe you haven’t the insight that I have. I can feel people’s inner pain (clutches chest), it’s like they have an aura around them that only I can detect.
GT: I heard that Paul, an elderly staff member, inadvertently gave you the job and Valerie was angry with him? I also heard that you’re a little, er, bossy.

ES: (Angry glare). Then you heard wrong! I am NOT bossy. Goodness, I was helping Valerie by befriending her. If it wasn’t for me she’d never have met Lex.
GT: Ah, Lex Kendal, he’s your grand-nephew, isn’t he?

ES: That’s right. I was worried about him, always chasing women and splashing his money around as if it grew on trees. I must admit, I was frightened that Valerie would fall for him like the others and end up heartbroken. I never, for one minute, guessed he’d do the falling in love! That Valerie can be such a bitch at times. My poor Lex.
GT: (Hiding a smile). But when they got together didn’t you try to split them up?

ES: I did no such thing!
GT: Didn’t Lex have to pretend to meet you somewhere so he could meet up with Valerie without you on the scene?

ES: I admit to that, and I’ve cut him out of my will.

GT: He’s the one with the money, though, isn’t he?
ES: Don’t be impertinent, dear. Anyway, as I was saying before you interrupted, Lex fell for Valerie but I didn’t believe his intentions towards her were decent at first. I thought she was just a challenge to him because she refused his advances, but he had fallen hook, line and thingy for her. She came with baggage though and I think that made him grow up pretty sharply.

GT: The baggage being her fear of falling in love?
ES: She developed this idea that once she loved someone they’d be taken away from her, perfectly understandable considering her past, but what nobody knew was that she was having these bizarre dreams at night. I think it was her subconscious was trying to tell her something. She didn’t want to remember and so took every caffeine pill imaginable, silly girl. And then Boots went missing…

GT: The cat?
ES: Yes, she vanished and that sort of cemented Valerie’s belief that everyone she falls for dies or leaves her. She loved the cat and it left her. Simple.

GT: It sounds tragic.
ES: Her emotions, or state of mind, which ever you’d like to call it were controlling her. She needed to break free.

GT: And has she?
ES: Let’s just say she has the courage to fight them. And she isn’t alone. We’ve seen to that.

GT: You and Lex. I don’t know whether she’s lucky or disadvantaged…
ES: What’s that?

GT: Nothing. So where’s the Cinderella story in all this?
ES: Valerie’s emotions are holding her back, controlling her, just like the ugly sisters were to Cinderella. Lex is the handsome Prince Charming, and I’m the helpful fairy godmother (beams).

GT: So helpful that Valerie doesn’t answer your calls?
ES: She’s busy.

GT: And so am I. Ellen, nice meeting you but I really need to rearrange my sock drawer!
Links:




 
Blurb

 
Oh no, I’ve Fallen in Love!
On the surface, Valerie Anthrope was happy with her life. She had her own brokerage with Sunny Oak Insurance and was financially solvent. But once asleep, she was plunged into a world of nightmares that reminded her she was cursed.
And that meant she couldn’t fall in love. Ever.
Lex Kendal was a multi-millionaire. Women flocked to him, preened and flaunted for his attention. But one woman, Valerie, knocked him back. Hard. It dented his pride and Lex set out to convince himself he still ‘had it’ by pursuing her.
Only he found himself being needed in a way he never, ever, expected and, for once in his life, money wasn’t the answer.
Excerpt
 
As soon as I entered, the music, balloons and smiley waitresses wearing festive hats, and the entire Christmassy atmosphere made me realise I’d made a mistake. I should have faked a migraine.
Paul spotted me first and stood up. ‘Yoo-hoo! Over here, Miss Anthrope.’
Paul, his wife Milly and Tim sat around a table where above floated coloured balloons, their strings attached to a weight in the centre of an equally bright tablecloth.
I made my way over and immediately spotted a stranger – and a scam. Ellen guided me over and insisted I sit next to the stranger while she sat the other side of me. The man had a ready smile, and beautiful eyes. They were the brightest blue, and totally wasted on a male. I was immediately interested despite the set-up.
‘This is Jon. Jon, Valerie,’ Ellen introduced us.
I nodded, removed my coat, which a passing waitress took. I sat down and smiled at Milly. ‘Nice to see you again,’ I said.
‘Ooh, can I have your red straw?’ Milly said to Ellen. ‘I’ll swap you my black one.’
There was little doubt this was Paul’s wife. Ellen swapped straws, and winked across at me. ‘Jon’s an accountant,’ she said.
‘And you’re a financial broker,’ Jon said, tapping me on the nose with his finger on the word “you’re”.
My interest vanished in a puff of oh-my-God-he’s-a-jerk smoke and I sent multitudinous angry thoughts to Ellen, but straight-faced she looked back at me and said, ‘Well, we’ll leave you two love birds alone while we eat on the next table. Come along, you others. Let’s leave the youngsters to it.’
Then they all got up and left me with Jon the accountant. Gobsmacked wasn’t a word I often used.
Fucked, was better.
The night was going to be extremely long.
 
Oh no, I’ve Fallen in love purchase links
Embedded:
Amazon
Apple iStore

No comments:

Post a Comment